Sunday, January 23, 2022

Day 11: Nourish and Notice ,and a happy birth-day

 Today is Tessa's birthday. 19 years old is a strange number for me: it's the age my mother was when she gave birth to me; it's the age for legal alcohol consumption in Canada where I was born, and it's an age I recall oh-so-clearly from my own life. The older Tessa gets, the more clear my memories of myself at that age are.

How can my daughter and I be the same age?!

But of course, we are not, and I'm grateful for every one of my 52 years, even if on the inside I still feel like a 19 year old.

At 19, I was working close to full time to put myself through school. My boyfriend was 27, and he had a world class education, experience, and a "real" job for a big corporation. I thought I was so sophisticated to attract someone of his intellectual prowess, and that I must be a very mature person, but in hindsight, he was a lost person who had trouble connecting with women and probably found a much more youthful girlfriend easier to handle. At 19 I was filled with ambition for my life, to become the person I wanted to be, and I was filled with fire and yearning for more. I hadn't yet traveled, or experienced much of life, but I knew with absolute certainty that I would do so.

Tessa is not me, and her path is different (including an age-appropriate boyfriend). Unlike me, she is living at college - financed by her father and I, at some personal sacrifice we both find well worthwhile - experiencing a dorm, a roommate, and all of the other parts of college like interesting professors and boring ones, new ideas, staying up way too late, eating at all hours of the day. (I lived with my parents, who did not support my college dreams nor provide financially, and who told me I was disloyal and ungrateful when I wanted to move out.) So her path is joyously different than mine... and I love that. I love that she's finding her way, and that she has opportunities to experience these different parts of coming into adulthood. I get so much joy out of being able to provide her with those experiences.

Last summer she and I went to far too many stores, shopping for just the right dorm items. She likes to cook, so we got her the basics of a kitchen, including the pale pink dishes and bright blue glasses she picked out. Her bedding is blush sheets in just the right softness, with a cloud-like feather comforter in a chambray color. She has pictures of her friends on the wall, a soft fluffy robe and cute flip flops for walking down the hall to her communal showers, and the cute bathroom organizer that came with a waterproof phone case. She has a new laptop for school, school logo sweatshirts and t-shirts and stickers.

I imagine her at the end of the day, climbing into the bed with the just-right pillows and the cute throw pillows and the bedding that she picked out, and remembering that her mom loved her and made sure she got just the right things to be comfortable at college. The reality is that she probably falls into bed every night thinking of her boyfriend, or a paper that's due, or something she saw on TV, but that's okay, because even if she doesn't think about it, *I* know that the she's getting a hug from me every time she slips into those sheets.

And it gives me joy.

Today I reflected a little bit about her birth, and we went back and forth sharing stories about it - Tessa knows the stories as well as I do, teasing, "And you thought of dolphins!" because with every contraction I did, indeed, visualize myself as a dolphin climbing to the top of the wave, then flying down. (When I shared this anecdote with my PEPS group for new mothers, they all stared at me as if I was insane. Apparently most people go the epidural route, not the dolphin route!) Tessa knows she was born into love, from before she was born; she knows how wanted she was and is, and this gives me joy.

About a week or two ago, when I wasn't feeling well, I watched Tessa's favorite Disney movie, "Tangled." In that show, on the princess's birthday, they release paper lanterns into the sky and make wishes for her. Well, last night, Tessa, Noah and I did just that. We wrote on them, and then drove to Lowman Beach to light them and send them into the night sky. I packed blankets and a thermos of hot tea, and we helped each other to set up each lantern and send it into the sky, and it was lovely. They drifted up over the water, and Orion was bright in the sky, and the waves were lapping, and their lights carried our wishes for Tessa into the world, and I thought - yes. Yes. It was beautiful, peaceful, hopeful, and Tessa loved it too. Yes, so much joy.

I notice that my daughter chose to spend the weekend at home, that she's doing well in school right now, that her eyes seem bright and clear.

I notice that I've been a mom for 19 years, and that I'm proud of the way I've mothered her. I'm so joyful that we're close, and that we're finding our way through new ways to be in relationship with one another as she grows up.

I notice that she heard me when I told her that I wasn't going to be her maid service when she visits, and the she should not leave me another big mess - and she cleaned up after herself.

And I notice that she's busy living her life, and she is well, and so I should work on myself, too. I can stop worrying so much right now, and let her be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Again?

 I have Covid. Again. I'm kind of hoping that third time is the charm. I'm fully vaccinated (what - five, six times now?), and becau...